Thursday, August 20, 2015

Beautiful Buxton



Buxton has a well-manicured park in its center, a conservatory, and a luxurious Opera House. My photos don't do the town justice.










The Derbyshire Dome, which once served as stables for the elegant spa attendees in the glory days, is the largest unsupported dome in Europe and today is home to the University of Derby.


The Dome is also a popular wedding venue.
Even today, townspeople draw water from St. Anne's Well. (Who knows, maybe it was the water and not the steroids and antivirals that cured me?) I don't like the taste of the mineral water in Bath, but Buxton water actually tastes good.





Buxton, which has good transport links to most of Derbyshire, is also a good location for walks. You can see a lot without a car, particularly if you have a senior railpass or get an all-day bus pass that covers the entire region.

Right on the outskirts of Buxton is an impressive cave and a walk up to Solomon's Temple, a 20-foot high, two-story folly, built in the 1890s. On a clear day, the views are fantastic.








Kevin took a great photo of a young girl who was sitting in one of the tower's windows.



I love this image! Kevin has a black-and-white version on his blog.

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted to say I got this photo from Kevin. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and I got it in the black-and-white version. It is pefect for the entry way where people first come in to my house, a charming way to be welcomed into my home.

    ReplyDelete